Have a question?
Message sent Close


Questions about Toronto

Will I like Toronto?

The word Toronto means “the place where the roots of trees soak in water” in a Mohawk dialect of eastern Canada. The usual French periphrasis for Toronto is the Queen City. … When the province of Ontario was created in 1867, Toronto was chosen as its capital by the Canadian Confederation. The word Toronto means “the place where the roots of trees soak in water” in a Mohawk dialect of eastern Canada. The usual French periphrasis for Toronto is the Queen City. … When the province of Ontario was created in 1867, Toronto was chosen as its capital by the Canadian Confederation.

Toronto, the economical capital of the province of Ontario, is a major Canadian city along Lake Ontario’s northwestern shore. It’s a dynamic metropolis with a core of soaring skyscrapers, all dwarfed by the iconic, free-standing CN Tower. Toronto also has many green spaces, from the orderly oval of Queen’s Park to 400-acre High Park and its trails, sports facilities and zoo. It is without a doubt the safest, cleanest, most fun and exciting city in Canada, and the cost of living is the lowest in North America! This means that you will be able to afford longer and more enjoyable stays here than in any other Canadian city and most cities in the USA. There are so many things to do in Toronto that it is impossible to get bored. You will love Toronto!

Should I be afraid of winter in Toronto?

Not at all, although winters are cold in Canada and Montreal can be cooler than some other cities. In January and February, snow is abundant and temperatures drop below zero degree Celsius; however, you will be well equipped with a winter coat, a warm hat that covers your ears, a pair of gloves and a scarf that covers your nose and mouth. People do not tend to wander around outdoors for hours during the winter as they would during the summer; instead, they enjoy the amazing underground city! By the way, did you know that Cioc Institute is located only minutes away from the underground city? You can also enjoy winter sports such as downhill or cross-country skiing, ice skating, tubing and fun winter festivals. Spending at least one winter in Toronto will be a fantastic unforgettable experience.

What is the best season to study in Toronto?

It depends. We have immersion program only for 18+ (oral comprehension and oral expression) during the summer, fall, winter and spring with limited place. First register first come. Each student has different temperature preferences and interests in outdoor activities. The nightlife remains the same throughout the year. Students generally enjoy summer more than the winter in Toronto, because of the warm weather, the longer days, and the numerous outdoor festivals. Though, if you have never seen snow or enjoyed winter activities before, winter in Toronto is a must!

Questions about CIOC INSTITUTE

Will I have internet access?

Yes! In the accommodation where you will stay at a price set by the hotel.

How qualified are your teachers?

Our teachers are all TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) certified and/or have pertinent university degrees created courses.  In addition, they all have extensive teaching experience in Canada or abroad.

Will I be able to participate in activities?

Yes! We regularly organize activities for full-time and part-time students who come for an immersion program in Canada covering oral comprehension and oral expression. This program is intended for students aged 18 and over. Our activity calendar is updated every semester and is posted in the virtual student lounge on Instagram, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook. We strongly encourage students to participate and learn while having fun. Some activities will be in the USA we suggest to obtain USA visa if its possible.

What is our language policy?

Cioc Institute has a strict rule to only communicate in English or French.

Questions about Programs, Registration and Cancellations

What is the minimum deposit I have to pay upon registration?

This learning covers the written comprehension and the written expression of the chosen program. Dependent on the student’s profile including work experience and academic skills. A personalized program can be offered. Online academic courses are non-refundable. Unless we cancel the apprenticeship program.

-For independent students all online course is not refundable or exchangeable.

-For part-time students a payment in USD dollars for 3 months of online academic learning is required non-refundable.

-For full-time students, a payment in USD dollars for 6 months of learning is required non-refundable.

Only student who are register for a full time or part-time program get to be refund the accommodation and the immersion program (review policy point 3 Cancellation policy).


When you enroll in a program before issuing the official acceptance letter you will need for immigration / visa purposes. You must make a deposit of 50% of your stay in hotel and covering the fees for the oral comprehension and speaking program and pay in full your academic online courses. The amount of this minimum payment depends on your period of study.

Insurance coverage is mandatory for the duration of your stay in Canada. We are offering you a competitive rate of  $ 2.50 USD per day for more details see the accommodation section of the site.

What if I need to Cancel, Program Modifications, Refund?

It will depend on your situation and the reason for the cancellation. In the event of a visa refusal or a medical situation on your part. In both cases written proof from immigration or a certify medical letter will be required. Provide to us the letters 4 business weeks prior your arrival. Please review our Refund Policy, which can be found in the Registration and Payment section of this website or contact one of our representatives. We will do our best to process your cancellation request allowed 4 business weeks.

Cancellation policy
** Independent student, all cancellations are non-refundable or exchangeable for online courses.
Full-time student and part-time student all cancellations are non-refundable but courses are exchangeable at a cost for online courses.  the fact that the student does not attend or misses the lessons is not considered as a notice of departure or cancellation. Penalty for international student enrolling part-time and full-time student for the immersion program: (oral expression and oral comprehension), we keep one month plus 10% for the administrative costs of the total enrollment for accommodation only with written proof of visa denial or medical reason.

** If a client cannot access the module online via www.ciocinstitute.com because it does not meet the system requirements of having a computer and an internet connection. By not completing the program or failing the courses, Cioc Institute will not take any responsibility or reimburse the purchaser. It is the customer’s responsibility to test their system for any compatibility issues before signing the purchase contract.

** The start date of any access is considered to be the date on which the client first has access to the e-learning modules. Cioc Institute will not make any attempt to notify the client when this access period is over. We have added an additional 5 days of grace for all courses in the event of a technical or maintenance issue on our part. Unless you pay for an extension.

Program Modifications
Modifications to the course dates may be made once at a cost of $100 USD. Please note that this fee is non-refundable.

Policies refund
During peak periods, we receive a high volume of refund requests, and, therefore, unfortunately, the processing time is about 6 weeks. Refunds are issued by the Admission Department for Immersion program and accommodation in Canada for full-time student and part-time student registered only. We try our best to get refunds out as quickly as possible. It is important for students to provide us with complete information so that we can ensure that there are no delays in processing refunds.

4) Refund
4.1 Once purchase agreement is returned you will be given automatic access to the online materials for online learning, no refund is available for academic courses, tests, phonic comprehension and oral courses.
4.2 No refund is given where a delegate does not complete the course or submit an assessment.
4.3 No refund is given where a customer does not finish the course agreement.

Can I pick up the refund cheque in person?

All refund requests will be pay out to students electronically via bank account. Please make sure that your email address is the correct address for confirmation. You must notify you must notify the Cioc institute for any update.

What if I wish to change my program or schedule?

There is extra 100$ charge for changing programs or schedules as long as these changes are made prior to your start date.  For full time student and part time student. Please refer to the policies in the Admissions section of this website under Registration, or contact one of our representatives.

Will I need to take a placement test?

Yes! You must take a Language Assessment Test on your first day at Cioc Institute to allow our Director of Studies to determine your level and place you in the appropriate courses. This test consists of two (4) sections sessions of 60 minutes for:

-Oral comprehension,
-Oral expression,
-Written comprehension,
-Written expression.

Do I need to pass a TOEFL exam to get into CIOC INSTITUTE?


Will I obtain a Certificate when I complete my program?

Yes! Once you have completed your program, and if you have passed all your courses, you will obtain an official certificate showing the level(s) that you have completed, the total amount of class hours attended, and any elective courses that you may have taken.

The Certificate will be signed by our Director of Studies. Other types of attestations of studies are also available. Please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] for further information.

Can I start on any given Monday?

Yes! You can start your courses on any given Monday for the Phonic comprehension and oral courses, but we strongly recommend starting on an official start date, otherwise, you may be placed in an ongoing class. Please contact one of our representatives for official start dates or email us at [email protected]. Online courses are always available for independent student 24 hours a day 7/7.

Will I be able to interrupt my classes in case of emergency or if I want to take a vacation?

Yes, it is always possible to temporarily interrupt your classes, but remember that we have a strict attendance policy. Should you wish to take a break from your program, you must inform the Director of Studies as soon as possible. Please note that unattended classes as a result of a program interruption will not be refunded.

Can I change courses if I feel that the level is not right for me?

Before you start your program, you will take a Language Assessment Test consisting of both written and oral sections. This will allow our Director of Studies to place you in the most appropriate level according to your test scores. If you do not feel comfortable at your level, we will gladly discuss the possibility of changing your courses.

I am experiencing problems with the online registration. What should I do?

Once you submit your online registration, you should receive a confirmation email within a few minutes. If you do not receive this confirmation email, we may not have received your registration or you may have entered an incorrect   email address. Please try again. If you are still experiencing problems, please contact us by email at [email protected], and one of our representatives will gladly assist you.

Questions about Visas

Do I need a visa to study at CIOC INSTITUTE?

No! if you are studying only online as an independent student.

Yes! If you are an international student arriving in Canada enrolled in the Immersion Program and the Canadian Experiences Program (CEP) You will be allowed to study in Canada for less than six (6) months without a Study Permit. However, depending on your country of origin, you may need a Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Permit – TRP) to enter Canada. If you are only registered to study in Canada for less than six (6) months but are considering extending your stay, it is recommended to apply for a Study Permit.  Remember that although you can extend your Study Permit from within Canada, you cannot obtain your original Study Permit from within Canada.

If you wish to study in Canada for over six (6) months, you will need to apply for a Study Permit. The entire process takes approximately eight (8) weeks. The Study Permit application automatically includes the processing of a Visitor Visa (if required). Please note that it is up to Immigration-Canada and to your local Canadian Embassy or Consulate to issue or refuse visas.

Cioc Institute does not have any control over the issuance of visas and is not authorized to retrieve any information on your behalf.

More information can be found on the following official websites / Immigration-Canada:





or call 1-888-242-2100

Will CIOC INSTITUTE help me obtain my student visa?

Yes, we can help you obtain your student visa. Canada’s immigration regulations are slightly different from those of other provinces in Canada. To study in Toronto, you will be applying for a Study Permit.

We can assist you with your application, free of charge, by submitting your application to Immigration – Canada on your behalf directly from Toronto, as long as you send us all the required documents. If a document is missing, your application may be delayed or refused by immigration Canada.

Cioc Institute is not responsible for any Study Permit denials.

Here the link:


Study permit: Get the right documents and the step

About the process, who can apply? Get the right documents. How to apply? After you apply, prepare for the arrival.


Will I be able to travel to the USA during weekends or holidays without a visa?

It depends on your nationality. The USA has a Visa Waiver Program which allows citizens from the following countries to be exempt from a visitor visa when visiting the USA for less than three (3) months: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom. If you are a citizen of any other country, you will not be able to cross the US border without a visa. There is a US Consulate in Toronto, and it takes approximately six (6) weeks to get an appointment. The US Visitor Visa costs the US $100. Please note that you can also apply for a US Visitor Visa directly from your country of origin before coming to Canada. We strongly recommend checking with Immigration-Canada or the US Consulate in Montreal before you plan a trip to find out which rules apply to you. We encourage to request one for your immersion program.

Can I obtain a visa extension and how should I proceed?

Yes, you can obtain a visa extension. You should apply for an extension at least five (5) weeks prior to your visa expiration date. If you need to extend your Study Permit, you should apply at least nine (9) weeks in advance.

A visa extension is usually granted provided that you present all the required documents. You do not need to leave the country to apply for a visa extension, as they are processed in Canada.

For more information, please visit http://www.cic.gc.ca or call 1-888-242-2100

Other Questions

How long before my start date should I arrive in Toronto?

We recommend arriving in Toronto  at least a few days before your program begins in order to familiarize yourself with the city, the transportation system, the weather, and your residence or host hotel.

How much money should I bring?

It is never recommended to carry large amounts of cash when travelling. You can order traveler’s checks before leaving your country of origin and exchange them for cash at a bank in Toronto. Credit cards are also a safe way to purchase everyday items.

You are allowed to open a bank account in Toronto if you present the required documents. You will then receive an Interac Card (debit card with a PIN number) which you will be able to use almost everywhere in Canada to withdraw money and make purchases.

Will I be able to work in Toronto while I study at CIOC INSTITUTE?

It is illegal for international students to work in Canada.

In order to work in Canada, you must possess a valid Work Permit or be a Permanent Resident/Canadian citizen.

How to apply:


I started my program in fall, winter, spring or summer! Do I need to study for the second semester? Can I take a break?

From an academic standpoint, you may be able to take a break, but you would have to confirm with Register Office to enquire when the second semester is offered again for the immersion program in Canada.

Course online are always available!
However, this may not be considered a scheduled break and, therefore, as per Canadian immigration regulations, you would not be eligible to work off-campus during the break. It may also cause issues from a study permit perspective; under the “must actively pursue” clause all study permit holders in Canada must actively pursue studies. This means that:

  • if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
  • failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada

Cioc Institute is required to report on a biannual basis to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on your continued enrolment status. You may also be asked by an immigration officer to provide evidence of your continued enrolment status. Please check with the International Centre to confirm your individual status. Visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada.html for more information.

Scheduled breaks are points in the year when you are not required to be in class, such as May-August for most September start programs (exception three-semester post-graduate certificates and some co-op programs). If your program requires you to be registered and in-class for that semester, taking it off would not be considered a scheduled break.

I would like to drop one course because of an exemption or because I want to take it in another semester, will I get a refund for that one course?

If a student drops one course but maintains full-time status, they do not receive a refund for the course that they dropped or are exempted from. Full-time status is defined as students who are enrolled full-time taking 66 and 2/3% of the required courses for their program/block, or 70% of the program contact hours (defined as instructional or classroom time) in any given semester. It is always a good idea to meet with your Register Office before you drop a course, to make sure that there won’t be any impacts on future semesters or if you get an exemption to see if you may be able to pick up another course to take in its place. You can confirm with the Registration Office regarding your full-time status. Otherwise, all online courses are not refundable.